Essential oils are more popular than ever and for good reason. These freely available plant medicines are one of the quickest, and most effective ways to trigger emotional, mental and physical responses within your body.
They also smell amazing.
Essential oils have been used for centuries for their medicinal, spiritual, and uplifting properties. Our ancestors understood that mother nature provided us with everything we need to prosper including an extensive range of powerful plant extracts, each with their own unique organic chemistry, scent and healing properties.
Each essential oil contains compounds with unique healing and therapeutic benefits. Here are four essential oils and creative ways to use them.
Frankincense is well known for its extensive health benefits, including its impressive anti-inflammatory properties. Known as the king of essential oils, it is a great all rounder as it supports and soothes the mind, body and soul.
• Add Frankincense to your moisturiser to reduce the appearance of blemishes and to rejuvenate your skin.
• Feeling low? Rub a few drops of frankincense oil to the bottom of your feet to support you to transmute any feelings of unworthiness or self-doubt.
• Mix two to three drops of frankincense into a carrier oil and massage directly into sore joints.
• Take one or two drops internally to promote healthy cellular function.(Only digest 100 percent pure organic therapeutic grade essential oils.)
• Integrate frankincense oil into your daily yoga and meditation to deepen your practice.
Lavender is one of the most popular essential oils in the world. Well known for its calming and relaxation properties, Lavender is often the go to oil for the sleep deprived. It’s versatility and gentleness makes this an oil to have on hand at all times.
• Having trouble sleeping? Apply lavender oil to the bottoms of your feet or place a few drops on your pillows or bedding.
• Lavender oil keeps the scalp looking clean and healthy and makes a great addition to any hair treatment, shampoo, or conditioner.
• Add a drop of oil to your children’s bath water and watch them instantly relax.
• When you start to feel tension building in your body, apply lavender directly on to your temples and back of the neck.
• Combine lavender oil and water in a spray bottle and you have an instant solution for all those unwanted smells.
Lemon essential oil has multiple health benefits and a fresh, clean citrus aroma that can uplift your mind and body. Use this oil daily to cleanse your body and physical environment of any undesirables.
• Add lemon oil to your water for a refreshing taste and to help naturally cleanse the body.
• If you find it hard to wake up in the morning, add three or four drops of lemon to your diffuser and you’ll find your self invigorated and rearing to go.
• For a chemical free cleaner that cuts through grease use: 1 ½ cups white vinegar, 1/2 cup water, and eight drops of lemon oil.
• Love infused olive oils but not the price? Add a few drops of lemon essential oil to your olive oil for an instant taste sensation.
• Take two drops each of lemon, lavender and peppermint to help fight off seasonal allergies.
This calming oil supports your nervous system and reduces tension and anxiety, while also providing antioxidant support. Yang ylang is a beautiful heart-opening essential oil that smells simply divine (it’s also one of the main ingredients in Chanel No. 5!)
• To relieve tension and stress, rub 1- 2 drops to the back of your neck.
• For emotional support try one or two drops over your heart.
• Diffuse this sweet floral scent to raise your spirits and support you to see the bigger picture.
• Add a few drops of ylang ylang to your bed sheets to naturally stimulate your libido.
• Find instant relief from PMS cramps and symptoms by massaging ylang ylang into your abdomen.
Rebecca Jackson is an empowerment coach and founder of Higher Love Today. Over the years, she has guided thousands of people to connect with their true self and unique gifts, as a foundation for living a life of purpose, passion, and prosperity. She is the author of You’re Not Alone: A Practical Guide for The Awakening Soul. To find out more visit www.rebeccajackson.info